THE ARCHITECTURE OF HOLY CROSS
Taken from Holy Cross's Solemn Consecration and History published 1886
The altar, of the best statuary marble, finishes the structural arrangements, and appropriately completes the apse by an imposing mass of rich architectural and sculpturesque display.
This has been designed with large details to accentuate the simple lines of the church and chancel, the enrichment being confined to the tabernacle and the niches at each end. The altar-table is carried on strong columns with enriched capitals and bases, the center brought forward and paneled with an elaborate cross with rays, the side-spaces being recessed. Above the table the tabernacles is elaborately ornamented and raised to the height of sixteen feet by an octagonal turret in two stages, the sides opened and the faces gabled and crocketed, the mitring of the angle-moldings masked by heads of angels, and the whole surmounted by an open spire with enriched bands and crockets.
The ends of the altar-table have also niches with similar canopies, finished with a low spire and surmounted by adoring angels, and shrining the apostles Peter and Paul. On each side of the tabernacle the space is occupied by one step and a diapered base, above which are three small niches, which will be filled with appropriate figures; the whole finished with an ornamented cornice and elaborate cresting.
The side-chapels also have their altar of plainer construction, frontals of antae with carved caps, and tabernacles above of more ornamental character, and a low reredos on each side; above the altar of the Sacred Heart the group of the Vision of the Sacred Heart of our Lord is placed in a niche, lighted by a window and by gas at night concealed; the grotto of Lourdes surmounts the altar of the Immaculate Heart of Mary and obtains a similar illumination, so that these groups will receive a bright and strong effect at all times.